TCAdmin  - The Game Hosting Control Panel  

Go Back   TCAdmin - The Game Hosting Control Panel > Total Control Admin Panel > TCAdmin Version 1

Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Hack for source games affecting tcadmin v1 and gamecp

Billing systems should be run on its own server seperated from any other application IMHO.

Gaining access to a game server is one thing. But having someone get to your client's personal info is another.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECF View Post
Billing systems should be run on its own server separated from any other application IMHO.

Gaining access to a game server is one thing. But having someone get to your client's personal info is another.
Well, I kinda assumed that people already do this. I guess not.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubka3 View Post
Even if you do not allow .DLL in TCAdmin, a exploit in srcds can allow a attacker to upload any file they wish into the server.
So really blocking .dll is just an inconvenience, since a security it provides can be bypassed by this exploit.

With that said, if you lock the account it runs with to a folder, I believe they are unable to access anything outside of that.
If this is true then everyone should be contacting Valve to correct this exploit, not looking to us to create a way to secure their gameservers due to a fault in the server software.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubka3 View Post
This is what I am saying:

Since all the accounts are locked to their own folder, the .dll will only be able to access their own folder (This assumes you are using Dimitri security method or TCA v2, user per service method, which I both highly recommend). So yes, I can go block .dll, which will inconvenience everyone, but the security it provides is FALSE. With srcds, the exploit which allows .dll will bypass TCA restricts, as it gets written by srcds.exe, not TCA's FTP or File Manager.

What your saying is, what if the client uploads the bad .dll? Well then you just hacked yourself as you won't be able to access anything outside of the game server root.

What if the someone uses the exploit? Then they get to hack the client's server, and they would probably only end up with access to server files and the rcon password as no one keeps there billing and control panel details in a text file on their server. To prevent this problem, the clients can disabling uploading, and enjoy a safe server.
You are correct, but my point is that I feel you are being naive thinking that only because they have 'user' access they can't do any harm. They can, and it can come back to affect you--The only difference is it's more difficult and requires a higher level of skill from the attacker--Typically these are targetted attacks.

Most people utilize the same logins and passwords, and most companies utilize the same login signatures. If you accidently upload a hacked dll, which sniffs the account and allows the attacker to gain this particular users login and password information. In more instances than not, they can then utilize that same information to gain access to the account panels, control panels, billing panels etc. Once inside the panels, they can attempt to infiltrate even further....and it just goes from there on.

Look back a few years ago to the WHT hack.. They got into a backup server on a non privledged account and ended up in their entire system.

Quote:
We?ve since learned that this very deliberate, sophisticated and calculated hack against Web Hosting Talk was carried out by gaining access to our offsite backup servers,? says the post From our backup servers, the hacker gained access to the WHT db server. The malicious attacker deleted all backups from the backup servers within the infrastructure before deleting tables from our db server. We were alerted of the db exploitation and quickly shut down the site to prevent further damage.?
Quote:
"the attacker is in possession of files containing user names, email addresses and hashed passwords"
There are thousands of other examples, and a few examples from companies that utilize TCA..I won't name them as there is no reason to defame them at this point in time....but my point is merely helpful. I really would utilize TCA's features and block the uploading of DLL/EXE's, and use the mod installation feature to install mods for your users.

and as for the SRCDS upload exploit, it was fixed a while back.

Quote:
Updates to Counter-Strike: Source have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Engine

Fixed an exploit that allowed files to be uploaded to the server at arbitrary locations in the file system
Fixed a server crash caused by a client packet claiming to be an HLTV client when HLTV is disabled on the server
Fixed a server crash caused by spoofing a client disconnect message
Fixed a server crash caused by sending malformed reliable subchannel data

Adam Piatek - Chief Technology Officer / Partner
Ritmo Technology Group, LLC
RitmoHost, LLC

CT Office: (888) 886 - 8740
Cellular : (860) 961 - 9469

Last edited by adamnp; 05-03-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnp View Post
You are correct, but my point is that I feel you are being naive thinking that only because they have 'user' access they can't do any harm.
Sorry, I should of been more clear, no, the group we run under does not have permissions except to open an exe as a service. It is not RDP accessible, and it can't do anything but run 1 exe as a service.

Oh, and the exploit fix was a partial, I am pretty sure you can still upload and download random files.

Here is Allied Modder's take on this.
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/SRCDS_Hardening
Quote:
File upload/download

It's possible to convince the server to let you upload or download random files from it. Valve has been attempting to fix this, but there still seem to be some workarounds to their fixes.

If you are running your own servers (not rented from a GSP), you can set file permissions on them to fix the upload issue.
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=841590
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=142249
http://www.sourceop.com/modules.php?...download&cid=9

If you really want to lock down and are not lazy,
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=779851
These get rids of the more common nasty exploits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECF View Post
If this is true then everyone should be contacting Valve to correct this exploit, not looking to us to create a way to secure their gameservers due to a fault in the server software.
The exploit is only used as a targeted attack, and it takes a lot of patience. Most people will never even see it. As stated above Valve did try to fix it.
And the people looking for putting the escape code on you are just lazy people, who want TCAdmin to just double click and make them a game host.

Last edited by Bubka3; 05-03-2012 at 11:12 PM.