TCAdmin  - The Game Hosting Control Panel  

Go Back   TCAdmin - The Game Hosting Control Panel > Total Control Admin Panel > TCAdmin Version 1

Old 04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Default Hack for source games affecting tcadmin v1 and gamecp

There is mention in a hacking forum about hacking source games running under tcadmin v1 and gamecp. They specifically mention it is not possible in v2.

I don't know how this hack works. It could be a custom source mod or a remote exploit. I assume v2 is not affected because in v2 all game servers run as a guest by default. I recommend you configure your game servers to run as a guest using method 1 explained here: http://clients.tcadmin.com/knowledge...yarticle&id=37 or this method: http://clientforums.tcadmin.com/showthread.php?t=6428
Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Hack for source games affecting tcadmin v1 and gamecp

I saw the post
This guy seems to be using the newly found windows rdp exploit as per his other threads
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM

This post alerted me as well, however we are half-way on TCA v2, and our TCA v1 servers run using dimitri user per server method. I can say this post increased our migration to TCA v2 and I think we're almost done.

Oh yea, this works by customers not securing their server. Instead of uploading a spray, he can upload a virus, which will therefore exploit GameCP and TCA v1 by default because of the service running as Local System, at which point he gains control of the box.

The fix is easy:
sv_download 0
sv_upload 0

If you run SourceMod, installing this extension is a good idea as well.
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=142249

And you should remind customers to never share the rcon password and rcon command.

Last edited by Bubka3; 04-27-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Yep! I alerted allot of people Just like I warned Bubka3. Watch out people I have been hacked while I was a GameCP User. Trust me Secure your things ASAP You don't want to be the next Victim.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM

We had someone installing CS 1.6 on one of our boxes. It was only 1.6 no other game servers. After we deleted the CS 1.6 no other servers were installed.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator

This is due to uploading of a bad mod. Companies that allow uploading of mods should NOT do it.

Huge security risk!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 PM

No offense or anything LFA but shouldn't this be an update you guys send out automatically? Why are we paying for updates if we have to do them manually ourselves? I know per say it is not an issue with tcadmin. But you can argue that tcadmin 1 should have used a different user from the start. What if we don't read the forums and have no clue about this, wouldn't this make you guys no better then cod4 devs for not fixing the exploit ddros attacks.

Last edited by ViolentCrimes; 04-30-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:38 PM

We test and only allow mods for certain games. If it requires an upload of .bat, .exe, .dll or any other file that can be used to get into out systems we make the installer.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {-SMAKU-}_MotorMouth View Post
We test and only allow mods for certain games. If it requires an upload of .bat, .exe, .dll or any other file that can be used to get into out systems we make the installer.
This is a great start but i am pretty sure that this exploit is triggered by an uploaded .cfg file and then the server runs it during startup.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentCrimes View Post
No offense or anything LFA but shouldn't this be an update you guys send out automatically? Why are we paying for updates if we have to do them manually ourselves? I know per say it is not an issue with tcadmin. But you can argue that tcadmin 1 should have used a different user from the start. What if we don't read the forums and have no clue about this, wouldn't this make you guys no better then cod4 devs for not fixing the exploit ddros attacks.
Instructions for running as a guest user has been in the product email for years. It takes less than 5 minutes to setup. TCAdmin blocks dll and exe by default. If the admin chooses to remove this restriction instead of taking the time to add them to the mod installer they should know what they are getting into. Running as a guest user is built in to v2.