PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2003 for Master and XP for slaves?

marsupillami
10-04-2006, 06:16 AM
Hi

I?m about to start in Windows world for gameservers. Currently, I own 3 Linux gameservers, however the problem is the game-panels that exist... they are all very weak. I would like to know, if possible, some things:

- Is Windows 2003 only required for the Master Server, or should the Slave servers also run it? I was thinking about using Windows XP on the slave servers, because they?re cheaper.

- Is the Master server able to run games also? Or is it a dedicated IIS machine?

- What kind of DB does this panel use? MSDE? MySQL? Will it be required MSSQL?

Thank You.

ECF
10-04-2006, 09:23 AM
-We only support Win2k3 for the master due to the limitation that WINXP has on its IIS (Internet Information Services) which is a 10 user concurrent connection count. And the WinXP IIS wasn't really designed for a large hosting environment.

We do recommend Win2k3 on all machines, but of course that is your --choice.

-You can run game servers on the master server if you would like to.

-We support 2 database types. MYSql and MS Access.

AvailNetworks
10-05-2006, 03:57 PM
I would definately second windows server 2003 over XP. xp is not a server class o/s and it does run noticably slower and it is worth the extra cash to go server 03

GameConnectors
10-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Paying extra for win2k3 far outweighs XP on performance and reliablity alone.

I don't think i'd even contemplate running a server on XP

Jissh
10-05-2006, 06:21 PM
If you cant afford to purchase 2003 out right you can look into becoming part of MS Partner Program where you purchase the media and rent the licences. Think were paying $25.00CAD for each of the licenses for our machines. Plus then you also have access to all the softer software.

After signingup for the partner program it takes about 6 months for them to get intouch with you, but is well worth the wait.

Blazer
11-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Does running gameservers on the master server influence performance? Because of mysql or ms access?

ECF
11-06-2006, 07:01 AM
MYSql will effect it, since it utilizes resources. Access DB does not. And IS it depends on how active the panel is.

Blazer
11-06-2006, 02:44 PM
MYSql will effect it, since it utilizes resources. Access DB does not. And IS it depends on how active the panel is.

Will it ever be possible to use a linux box as the master server (web server) and run the gameservers on win2k3 (remote/slave) is something like that planned?

ECF
11-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Not in the forseeable future. If you are looking for a linux panel I would suggest looking at some of the linux based panels on the market.